Yochai Benkler’s wrap up of his discussion of the Physical Layer: Wires and Wireless.
* The stakes of the Internet model are both political and economic.
* Sustaining an open environment requires openness at all layers.
* The physical connectivity layer is highly concentrated.
* Municipal fibre to the home (FTTH) is promising, but is subject to an
uphill political battle (with the action increasingly at the respective
* License-free wireless offers the primary avenue towards a robust,
freely usable physical layer, owned by its users and biased in favor of
Much more here: http://www.benkler.org/Pub.html#Spectrum.